A butterfly with mottled orange, yellow, and black markings, and wavy wing margins.
- Genera Aglais and Nymphalis, subfamily Nymphalinae, family Nymphalidae: several species, including the common Eurasian small tortoiseshell (A. urticae)
More example sentences
- Where there were walls or hedges, bright orange rosehips, black sloes, red haws and yellow ivy bloom; a few bees, a small tortoiseshell butterfly.
- For example, the caterpillar of the small tortoiseshell butterfly will eat only stinging nettles, white admirals feed solely upon honeysuckle, and goldfinches eat only seed.
- Bumblebees are circling round and about and several butterflies are on the wing: orange tips, small tortoiseshell and peacock.
Definition of tortoiseshell butterfly in:
- The US English dictionary