Definition of torula in English:
noun (plural torulae ˈtɒruːliːˈtɒr(j)ʊliː)
1 (also torula yeast) A yeast which is cultured for use in medicine and as a food additive, especially as a source of vitamins and protein.
- Candida utilis, subdivision Deuteromycotina
- The company's fresh-baked Vegekibble for dogs is made of whole wheat and soy flour, corn meal, torula yeast, garlic, vegetable broth and a vegan supplement.
- Alternatively cooked and extruded rice products can be similarly improved with torula yeast prior to puffing.
- Provesta Micro-Feast ® L - 10 larval diet, an enriched dehydrated torula yeast, was used in this study.
2A yeast-like fungus composed of chains of rounded cells, several kinds growing on dead vegetation and some causing infections.
- Genus Torula (or formerly this genus), subdivision Deuteromycotina: several species, in particular T. herbarum, which grows on dead grasses
- The London County Country Medical Officer discovered, for example, the following in samples of ice cream: cocci, bacilli, torulae, cotton fiber, lice, bed bugs, bug's legs, fleas, straw, human hair, and cat and dog hair.
Definition of torula in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.