- A large New Zealand coniferous tree which yields useful timber.
More example sentences
- Podocarpus totara, family Podocarpaceae
- The lush branches of the totara, matai and kahikatea trees blocked out all remaining light and I was left alone in a dark, unfamiliar forest.
- Trees in the bush include kahikitea, rimu, thin-barked totara, matai and miro.
- Growing around them were matai, totara and rimu trees, home to native pigeons, tui, bellbirds, and fantails.
mid 19th century: from Maori tótara.