Definition of totipotent in English:
(Of an immature or stem cell) capable of giving rise to any cell type or (of a blastomere) a complete embryo: totipotent embryo cells can differentiate into a hundred different cell types specialized to form such tissues as skin, marrow, and muscle
More example sentences
- For the first few divisions, up to at least the 8-cell stage, all the cells of the tiny embryo are totipotent stem cells.
- Here, human or mouse embryonic stem cells, in vitro representatives of the totipotent inner cell mass blastomeres, are placed into culture.
- What he showed next were a series of experiments in which they pushed cultured, totipotent mouse embryonic stem cells to desired neural fates using the various factors he had identified as significant in vivo.
- 1totipotency noun
- Example sentences
- Likewise, somatic cell totipotency is demonstrated by the ability of plant cells to develop into a complete and fertile plant by in vitro somatic embryogenesis and/or organogenesis.
- He said that the demonstration of genetic totipotency of cells after prolonged culture is pivotal to combining site specific genetic manipulations and cloning.
- Somatic embryogenesis is an example of totipotency and is used as a model system for studying embryogenesis.
Definition of totipotent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.