Definition of totipotent in English:
(Of an immature or stem cell) capable of giving rise to any cell type or (of a blastomere) a complete embryo: totipotent embryo cells can differentiate into a hundred different cell types specialized to form such tissues as skin, marrow, and muscle
More example sentences
- For the first few divisions, up to at least the 8-cell stage, all the cells of the tiny embryo are totipotent stem cells.
- Here, human or mouse embryonic stem cells, in vitro representatives of the totipotent inner cell mass blastomeres, are placed into culture.
- What he showed next were a series of experiments in which they pushed cultured, totipotent mouse embryonic stem cells to desired neural fates using the various factors he had identified as significant in vivo.
- Example sentences
- Likewise, somatic cell totipotency is demonstrated by the ability of plant cells to develop into a complete and fertile plant by in vitro somatic embryogenesis and/or organogenesis.
- He said that the demonstration of genetic totipotency of cells after prolonged culture is pivotal to combining site specific genetic manipulations and cloning.
- Somatic embryogenesis is an example of totipotency and is used as a model system for studying embryogenesis.
Definition of totipotent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan