Definition of touch down in English:
1 Rugby Touch the ground with the ball behind the opponents' goal line, scoring a try.
- Francis Meli was twice denied tries by forward passes and scrum-half Lance Hohaia would have touched down, but he grounded the ball short of the line after a fine run and dive.
- But this sparked the Welsh into life and they scored a wonderful try of their own when scrum-half Gareth Cooper touched down after a flowing passage of play.
- The pair swapped roles for the second try when Cain, playing at scrum-half, provided the pass for loose forward Ball to touch down under the sticks.
2(Of an aircraft or spacecraft) land: his plane touched down at Nice airport
More example sentences
- Tailwheel aircraft might actually touch down tailwheel-first.
- This is followed by the bump and lurch as the aircraft touches down and the engines roar into full reverse.
- The aircraft may have also touched down at a sideways angle.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.