Definition of touch down in English:
1 Rugby Touch the ground with the ball behind the opponents' goal line, scoring a try.
- Francis Meli was twice denied tries by forward passes and scrum-half Lance Hohaia would have touched down, but he grounded the ball short of the line after a fine run and dive.
- But this sparked the Welsh into life and they scored a wonderful try of their own when scrum-half Gareth Cooper touched down after a flowing passage of play.
- The pair swapped roles for the second try when Cain, playing at scrum-half, provided the pass for loose forward Ball to touch down under the sticks.
2(Of an aircraft or spacecraft) land: his plane touched down at Nice airport
More example sentences
- Tailwheel aircraft might actually touch down tailwheel-first.
- This is followed by the bump and lurch as the aircraft touches down and the engines roar into full reverse.
- The aircraft may have also touched down at a sideways angle.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia