Definition of tournament in English:
1(In a sport or game) a series of contests between a number of competitors, competing for an overall prize.
- Can you foresee a time when gaming tournaments rival sports championships in terms of audience interest and ratings?
- Activities will include tennis coaching, co-ordination games, multi sport tournaments and lots more.
- In 14 World Cup games in five previous tournaments Korea had not won a match.
2(In the Middle Ages) a sporting event in which two knights (or two groups of knights) jousted on horseback with blunted weapons, each trying to knock the other off, the winner receiving a prize.
- Heraldry originated in medieval warfare and tournaments when it was necessary to identify knights who were completely covered in armour.
- It examines chivalric ritual and tournament, much of which took place at Greenwich.
- The Black Knight tournament is held twice a year, once in the fall term, and again in the winter term.