- A device for stopping the flow of blood through a vein or artery, typically by compressing a limb with a cord or tight bandage.More example sentences
- The surgeon may encircle vessels with umbilical tapes and tourniquets to control blood flow later in the procedure.
- Many surgeons use a tourniquet (a tight band) around the thigh, which reduces blood flow around the knee.
- The circulating nurse deflates the tourniquet after the elastic bandage is in place.
late 17th century: from French, probably from Old French tournicle 'coat of mail', influenced by tourner 'to turn'.
More definitions of tourniquetDefinition of tourniquet in:
- The US English dictionary