- A toxic substance introduced into the environment, e.g. a pesticide.More example sentences
- Human beings are exposed to a wide variety of environmental toxicants or carcinogens and there exists an inter-individual variation in sensitivity to a particular toxicant to which they are exposed.
- They are more heavily exposed to toxicants in the environment because, pound for pound, they eat more food, drink more water, and breathe more air than adults.
- Therefore, D. melanogaster can be a sentinel organism for long-term release of toxicants into the environment.
late 19th century: variant of intoxicant, differentiated in sense.
More definitions of toxicantDefinition of toxicant in:
- The US English dictionary