- A fossil of a footprint, trail, burrow, or other trace of an animal rather than of the animal itself.More example sentences
- Indeed, as we have seen, the lower boundary of the Cambrian is now defined by the occurrence of the burrow trace fossil, Trichophycus pedum.
- When you recall that one of the disadvantages of trace fossils is that the same trace fossil could have been made by many organisms, think of the difficulty of trying to match every Cruziana with each of the hundreds of trilobite genera.
- This structure is more readily explained as an elongate, gently tapering body fossil, than as a trace fossil.
More definitions of trace fossilDefinition of trace fossil in:
- The US English dictionary