Definition of trachea in English:
noun (plural tracheae treɪˈkiːiː or tracheas)
1 Anatomy A large membranous tube reinforced by rings of cartilage, extending from the larynx to the bronchial tubes and conveying air to and from the lungs; the windpipe.
- The conducting portion of the respiratory system includes the nasal cavity, paranasal sinuses, nasopharynx, larynx, trachea, and bronchi.
- If symptoms aren't improving in that time, see your doctor to make sure you don't have a bacterial infection in your lungs, larynx, trachea, sinuses or ears.
- The larynx, trachea, and bronchi exhibited extensive squamous metaplasia of the mucosa with reactive atypia.
1.1 Entomology Each of a number of fine chitinous tubes in the body of an insect, conveying air direct to the tissues.
- Breathing is by special gas exchange organs along the side of the body called tracheae and malpighian tubules.
- This was a pretty far out idea, since blood-based gas exchange is what other arthropods use (including aquatic ones) but was previously thought to be completely absent in insects, which deliver air directly to their tissues via tracheae.
- Although tracheae appear to be compressed synchronously, the shape and direction of compression varies within local tracheal segments, and to a lesser extent, between beetles.
- Example sentences
- The receptors have long fused rhabdoms and are surrounded by a tracheal tapetum.
- The aquatic larvae or nymphs possess respiratory abdominal tracheal gills.
- The air sacs leading into and out of the lungs hold a large volume of fresh air, so in general, the respiratory costs of tracheal elongation are probably not high.
- Example sentences
- Myriapods have been traditionally considered the closest relatives of hexapods, thus implying only one origin of terrestriality for the tracheate lineage, but this view is now challenged by molecular evidence.
- The insects are tracheate.
- Insects are tracheate arthropods and employ direct transfer of respiratory gases to and from their sites of use and generation via the tracheal system.
Words that rhyme with tracheaAchaea, aliyah, Almería, Apia, Bahía, Caesarea, Cassiopeia, Chaldea, Cytherea, Euboea, foreseer, freer, galleria, gynaecea, Iphigenia, Kampuchea, kea, keyer, Latakia, Leah, Lucia, Nicaea, Nicosia, onomatopoeia, Oriya, osteria, Pangaea, Pantelleria, pharmacopoeia, pizzeria, ria, rupiah, sangría, seer, sharia, Shia, skier, spiraea (US spirea), Tanzania, taqueria, Tarpeia, Thea, trattoria, urea
Definition of trachea in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.