Definition of tracker in English:
1A person who tracks someone or something by following their trail: he operated as a police tracker in the Halls Creek area
More example sentences
- From there, the trackers could follow the trail.
- His body has never been found, despite months of searching that involved police agents, Aboriginal trackers and helicopters.
- It is the story of an Aboriginal tracker who guides three police troopers in search of an accused Aboriginal man.
2 Finance An investment fund which aims to follow in value a stock market index or group of indexes.
- Structured products such as trackers allow product providers to take out a margin they couldn't otherwise extract.
- By saving money each month in a low-cost index tracker, you can take advantage of rising prices when the markets finally turn the corner.
- Over the past year the average active fund is up 24 % before fees compared with a gain of 22 % for the typical tracker.
2.1A mortgage or savings product whose interest rate aims to follow a particular public interest rate.
- Ulster Bank's tracker mortgage in this sector is, again, the cheapest, at 1.05 per cent above the ECB rate.
- Brokers said the move by Permanent TSB comes as Ulster Bank enjoys huge success with a tracker product even though it is restricted to lowrisk borrowers with healthy loan-to-value ratios.
- The loan itself is paid off by an alternative investment, such as an index tracker within an ISA wrapper that you're expected to set up.
3 Music A connecting rod in the mechanism of an organ.
- The tracker mechanism continued in use into the 19th century and has been revived on present-day organs because it gives an immediacy of touch from key to pipe.
- In the largest organs the trackers may be tens of metres long.
- Fritts's are tracker organs, which create sound by a series of levers, springs, and push rods that open valves in a wind-chest to let air pass from bellows to pipes.
Definition of tracker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan