(British also trades unionist)
Definition of trade unionist in English:
A member of a trade union or an advocate of trade unionism.
- He had made his name as a militant trade unionist and prominent member of the SPD, which he had joined in 1903 in Hamburg.
- I am a trade unionist in the Natfhe lecturers' union and have been a reader of Socialist Worker for over 30 years.
- Then came the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist.
trade unionism noun
- Example sentences
- It is a triumph for militant trade unionism, picketing and solidarity - all the traditions that we are told are outdated.
- I do understand the importance of trade unions and trade unionism.
- It also led in post-war times to a model of trade unionism marked by numerous unions in the same workplace with demarcation disputes and attempts to outmanoeuvre each other for members.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan