Definition of traditionalism in English:
1The upholding or maintenance of tradition, especially so as to resist change.
- It is also ironic that, despite the dominance and visibility of reactionary traditionalists, liberal traditionalism is still thriving.
- Hearing these versions is like enjoying a meal in one of Vienna's oldest five-star restaurants: there are no surprises, but traditionalism rarely has been upheld with such opulent perfection.
- In this regard, films seem more likely to take a direct approach to linking colonial politics with the politics of traditionalism and anti-modernization.
1.1chiefly historical The theory that all moral and religious truth comes from divine revelation passed on by tradition, human reason being incapable of attaining it.
- Fundamentalists reject a larger portion of secular society, maintain strong commitments to strict literalism, premillennial dispensationalism, and moral traditionalism.
- Not even ressentiment by the dispossessed escapes this religious traditionalism; the ethical prophet may be an exception.
- I'm not sure about that, but I am hopeful that Anglican theology, with its middle way between liberal rationalism and dogmatic traditionalism, can save the historical quest for Jesus.
traditionalist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- There is far more to this than the electoral opportunism of which traditionalists in both parties regularly complain.
- Not the kind of thing a conservative, traditionalist would believe in, surely?
- Both objections have implications for the politics of the tension between progressive and traditionalist doctrines.
- Example sentences
- What are the major features of the individualistic, traditionalistic, and moralistic political cultures?
- This seems enough surprising in relation to a traditionalistic culture like the one of the Catalan Renaixença.
- The chief goal of the traditionalistic political culture is the maintenance of the status quo, with political power concentrated in the hands of established elites.
Definition of traditionalism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan