Definition of traditionalism in English:
1The upholding or maintenance of tradition, especially so as to resist change.
- It is also ironic that, despite the dominance and visibility of reactionary traditionalists, liberal traditionalism is still thriving.
- Hearing these versions is like enjoying a meal in one of Vienna's oldest five-star restaurants: there are no surprises, but traditionalism rarely has been upheld with such opulent perfection.
- In this regard, films seem more likely to take a direct approach to linking colonial politics with the politics of traditionalism and anti-modernization.
1.1chiefly historical The theory that all moral and religious truth comes from divine revelation passed on by tradition, human reason being incapable of attaining it.
- Fundamentalists reject a larger portion of secular society, maintain strong commitments to strict literalism, premillennial dispensationalism, and moral traditionalism.
- Not even ressentiment by the dispossessed escapes this religious traditionalism; the ethical prophet may be an exception.
- I'm not sure about that, but I am hopeful that Anglican theology, with its middle way between liberal rationalism and dogmatic traditionalism, can save the historical quest for Jesus.
traditionalist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- There is far more to this than the electoral opportunism of which traditionalists in both parties regularly complain.
- Not the kind of thing a conservative, traditionalist would believe in, surely?
- Both objections have implications for the politics of the tension between progressive and traditionalist doctrines.
- Example sentences
- What are the major features of the individualistic, traditionalistic, and moralistic political cultures?
- This seems enough surprising in relation to a traditionalistic culture like the one of the Catalan Renaixença.
- The chief goal of the traditionalistic political culture is the maintenance of the status quo, with political power concentrated in the hands of established elites.
Definition of traditionalism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.