- The deliberate slowing of traffic in residential areas, by building road humps or other obstructions: [as modifier]: traffic calming measuresMore example sentences
- Residents are campaigning for traffic calming measures on a road where a four-year-old boy was killed.
- He called for the dangerous stretch of road to become a slow speed zone or for traffic calming measures to be introduced there.
- Illuminated signs and traffic calming measures have been used effectively in other areas of the country for many years.
1980s: translation of German Verkehrsberuhigung.
More definitions of traffic calmingDefinition of traffic calming in:
- The US English dictionary