Definition of tragedian in English:
1An actor who specializes in tragic roles.
- It reminded us that some of the zaniest players can play tragedy better than tragedians.
- Rather, an actor will develop a specialty within a line, perhaps serving only as a lead tragedian, never doing comedy, or narrowing his eccentric business to specialize in Irish or Jewish roles.
- He retired from the stage in 1817 with a final performance as Coriolanus, widely respected as a great tragedian and as Garrick's successor in the promotion and playing of Shakespeare.
1.1A writer of tragedies.
- How could Milton the classicist, the tragedian, the epic writer, reject Plato, the Greek tragedians, and Homer himself?
- Not even the greatest of ancient tragedians could have written the script, most commentators agreed.
- Born around 524 or 525 B.C. in the city of Eleusis near Athens, the Greek dramatist Aeschylus is known as the first great tragedian.
Words that rhyme with tragedianArchimedean, comedian, epicedian, median
Definition of tragedian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.