An Asian pheasant of highland forests, the male of which has brightly coloured plumage used in courtship.
- Genus Tragopan, family Phasianidae: five species
More example sentences
- Pheasants are generally thought to be comprised of three subfamilies: Tragopaninae (tragopans), Argusianinae, and Phasianinae.
- I did, however, see a small monkey with enormous military moustaches, a satyr tragopan (answers on a postcard), and a pair of red river hogs - each of which were fairly exciting in their own way.
- Earlier Jammu and Kashmir had the western tragopan as its State bird.
modern Latin, from Greek, the name of a horned bird, from tragos 'goat' + the name Pan (see Pan).
More definitions of tragopanDefinition of tragopan in:
- The US English dictionary