Definition of trait in English:
1A distinguishing quality or characteristic, typically one belonging to a person: the traditionally British trait of self-denigration
More example sentences
- Lying is one of the most human of traits that really distinguishes us from the rest of the animal world.
- It must be common trait among women, being better at cooking once you're married.
- In talking with the many men, she had come to distinguish similar traits in all of them.
1.1A genetically determined characteristic: breeders were installing some trait that allowed the crop to thrive
More example sentences
- They have lived on, the recessive traits in our genetic coding, and they have emerged in us.
- This suggests that these traits are genetically controlled depending on the growth stages of leaves.
- Most of her seeds are chosen because of the parents' hardy traits, so the genetic base of the garden is superb.
Words that rhyme with traitaffray, agley, aka, allay, Angers, A-OK, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, eh, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, gainsay, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hey, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, misplay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, pray, prey, purvey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, tray, trey, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.