- Towns and cities considering tram schemes yesterday attacked Government indecision and demanded clear guidelines on what Ministers were prepared to pay for.
- She pointed out that at present it takes only 20 minutes to get to Manchester by train from Rochdale, but would take longer by tram.
- But we're also seeing lots more shoppers using the bus, tram and train as a convenient and welcome way of coming into our town.
- Paddy who was a former miner was delighted with the birthday cake, in the shape of an old tram full of coal.
- We were then issued rubber boots and hard hats and were taken several thousand feet into the mine, where we got off the tram to look at one of the orebodies.
- The tram was built to carry coal from the immediately adjacent coal mine to a row of beehive coking ovens and thence to the smelter furnaces.
be on the wrong tram
- Australian informal Be pursuing an unproductive course of action: when you start gifting money to polluters you know you’re on the wrong tramMore example sentences
- You are on the wrong tram. This is not productive. We must move forward and put all this behind us.
- His action is a lot more honourable than what she did—so this critic is on the wrong tram!
- He is on the wrong tram regarding the astronomical amount he paid for the cricket.
Early 16th century (denoting a shaft of a barrow; also in sense 2): from Middle Low German and Middle Dutch trame 'beam, barrow shaft'. In the early 19th century the word denoted the parallel wheel tracks used in a mine, on which the public tramway was modelled; hence sense 1 (late 19th century).
This is a borrowing from Dutch of a word for a shaft or beam, and was first used for the shafts of a cart or barrow, and then for barrow-like devices used in coal mines. In the early 19th century the word was used for the parallel wheel tracks used in a mine, on which the public tramway was modelled; hence the word's use for the passenger vehicle itself.
Words that rhyme with tramam, Amsterdam, Assam, Bram, cam, cham, cheongsam, clam, cram, dam, damn, drachm, dram, exam, femme, flam, gam, glam, gram, ham, jam, jamb, lam, lamb, mam, mesdames, Omar Khayyám, Pam, pram, pro-am, ram, Sam, scam, scram, sham, Siam, slam, Spam, swam, tam, Vietnam, wham, yam
Definition of tram in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.