Definition of transect in English:
Cut across or make a transverse section in: tissues connecting the tibia and femur were transected
More example sentences
- A spokesman said: ‘A completely transected artery quickly seals itself off - one simply cannot die from losing only about a pint of blood.’
- The muscle is transected from its insertion to the humerus so that the only remaining attachment is the nerve and blood vessels.
- The, surgeon placed a 30-mm vascular stapler across the neck of the diverticulum and secured and transected the diverticulum.
nounBack to top
A straight line or narrow section through an object or natural feature or across the earth’s surface, along which observations are made or measurements taken.
- Fifteen sets of nested plots were located at about 15 meter intervals along line transects perpendicular to the slope within the study areas.
- The survey was flown along the same transect lines used during the 1985 and 1993 surveys.
- The recording tape recorder was placed at 1, 5, 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 m along the transect line.
- Example sentences
- Complete transection causes the artery to quickly retract and close down, and this promotes clotting of the blood.
- Recent research would indicate that tears of this nature, i.e. transections, are not expected to heal together unless there is surgical repair.
- This allows the level of transection to be identified, along with other features, based on knowledge of the spinal segmental motor nerve supply to the individual muscles.
Words that rhyme with transectaffect, bisect, bull-necked, collect, confect, connect, correct, defect, deflect, deject, detect, direct, effect, eject, elect, erect, expect, infect, inflect, inject, inspect, interconnect, interject, intersect, misdirect, neglect, object, perfect, project, prospect, protect, reflect, reject, respect, resurrect, sect, select, subject, suspect, unchecked, Utrecht
Definition of transect in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.