noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A protein of the beta globulin group which binds and transports iron in blood serum.More example sentences
- The transferrin receptor is a protein located in the plasma membrane that binds the protein transferrin.
- Iron, an essential requirement of bacteria, is tightly bound to glycoproteins such as transferrin and lactoferrin in the serum, making it unavailable for the bacteria.
- This blood test measures the amount of iron bound to transferrin, an iron-carrying protein in your bloodstream.
More definitions of transferrinDefinition of transferrin in:
- The US English dictionary