- 1Make a marked change in the form, nature, or appearance of: lasers have transformed cardiac surgery he wanted to transform himself into a successful businessmanMore example sentences
- The phenomenon is transforming the nature of technology service, an industry long infamous for being impersonal.
- The history of human progress is the history of humankind taking things from nature, and transforming nature for its own benefit.
- Program One was about that, and the ways in which that's transforming the nature of war.
- 1.1 [no object] Undergo a marked change: a wry cynicism rapidly transforms into an overwhelming sense of sournessMore example sentences
- She adjusts her breasts and runs her hand over her hair, as she transforms into her character.
- And then, as I get older, it transforms into something else.
- This passage explicitly thematizes the way human temporality is experienced as some form of spatial movement - how space transforms into time.
- 1.2Change the voltage of (an electric current).More example sentences
- Those receive their 11,000 volt current underground and then transform it to a voltage suitable for the domestic consumers in just one or two roads or streets.
- The wind plant captures and transforms wind energy into direct current electricity.
- There the signal is passed through the skin to the implant, which transforms the signal to electrical pulses.
- 2 Mathematics Change (a mathematical entity) by transformation.More example sentences
- He replaced the differential operator d/dx by a variable p transforming a differential equation into an algebraic equation.
- Variables were transformed with natural logarithms or square roots to normalize residuals.
- He used them to transform Laplace's equation into ellipsoidal coordinates and so separate the variables and solve the resulting equation.
Pronunciation: /ˈtransfɔːm , ˈtrɑːns-, -nz-/Mathematics & Linguistics Back to top
- 1The product of a transformation.More example sentences
- In the bottom portion of the figure, the logarithmic transform of power is presented.
- The wavelet transform is designed to produce the best image possible given the bandwidth of the medium of transmission.
- A constant uncertainty on a linear scale transforms to a variable uncertainty on a log scale.
- 1.1A rule for making a transformation.More example sentences
- Similar questions are investigated for the sine transforms rather than the cosine transforms.
- Aleksandrov further developed the integral transform method and used asymptotic methods to solve the problem for a finite thickness layer.
- The transformation rules may comprise both causal hypotheses and modal transforms.
- More example sentences
- Detachable sleeves, reversible jackets, transformable caps, drapes held up with snap buttons are not only user-friendly, but give people freedom.
- A fully transformable space, it can be sited just about anywhere, with a flexible, folding facade that opens up or closes the interior as required.
- And the notions of the ideas about man's relationship to nature, are, by their nature, transformable into expressions of society's relationship to nature, and of man's natural relationship to man.
- More example sentences
- Words, as well as images, depend on a transformative mental process in order to achieve articulation.
- We are fortunate to work for an organization where our duties are tough, relentless and transformative.
- Again, the messages are clear and useful - and in hard practice transformative.