- 1An apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current.More example sentences
- LED lights require a transformer to turn alternating current to direct current.
- The circuit keeps interrupting itself in this way, gradually boosting voltage through the transformer.
- Remember, you can only plug mains voltage lighting into an external socket as low voltage lighting requires a transformer and currently most transformers are not suitable for outside use.
- 2A person or thing that transforms something: the great transformer of mankindMore example sentences
- He is known as a daring innovator in science, as an indefatigable researcher and as a great transformer of nature.
- He himself admires Peter the Great, the legendary but tyrannical transformer of 18th-century Russia.
- Earth is also the great transformer of chi often serving as a transition between two other elements.
More definitions of transformerDefinition of transformer in:
- The US English dictionary