1An apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current.
- LED lights require a transformer to turn alternating current to direct current.
- The circuit keeps interrupting itself in this way, gradually boosting voltage through the transformer.
- Remember, you can only plug mains voltage lighting into an external socket as low voltage lighting requires a transformer and currently most transformers are not suitable for outside use.
2A person or thing that transforms something: the great transformer of mankind
More example sentences
- He is known as a daring innovator in science, as an indefatigable researcher and as a great transformer of nature.
- He himself admires Peter the Great, the legendary but tyrannical transformer of 18th-century Russia.
- Earth is also the great transformer of chi often serving as a transition between two other elements.
Words that rhyme with transformerdormer, former, korma, Norma, performer, pro-forma, stormer, trauma, warmer
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: trans|form¦er
Definition of transformer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.