Definition of transom in English:
1The flat surface forming the stern of a boat.
- The sheer of the B40 is slightly flatter, the transom more vertical and broader, and the bow slightly less spoon-shaped.
- The Bertram 31 and its prototype were designed with a remarkable 23-degree angle of deadrise at the transom with three lifting strakes on each side from the keel to the chine.
- With six of us now in the boat, the low transom and failed bilge pump is worrying, but we dive anyway.
1.2A strengthening crossbar, in particular one set above a window or door. Compare with mullion.
- The head casing that separates the transoms from the French doors runs at the same 7-foot height around the entire space, blending with the built-in bookshelves.
- Pairs of narrow French doors topped with transoms line one wall of the main room, offering easy access to the deck and playing up the room's dramatic vaulted ceiling.
- Puddling style draperies over the windows and original shutters control light, and transoms over the doors help the air to circulate.
1.3 US term for transom window.
- Entries often showcase glass in the door, plus sidelights and transoms (windows over the door).
- If the doors and the transoms above weren't exactly the right height, you'd have a totally different feeling.
- Curtain walls, sliding doors, transoms, and more can be finished in dark bronze or clear anodized and painted bronze or white.
over the transom
- North American informal Offered or sent without prior agreement; unsolicited: the editors receive about ten manuscripts a week over the transomMore example sentences
- But once everyone adjusts, those couple hundred emails will mean nothing more than the couple dozen letters that might have physically come in over the transom in the old days.
- I get a lot of stuff over the transom, and this year I am going to do my best to thank everyone who's contributed material to the site.
- An apology came over the transom about an hour later.
- Example sentences
- Rear has former double chamfered mullioned and transomed windows with hoodmould over in cross-wing.
- The rear has double chamfered mullioned and transomed windows with plainer chamfered mullions.
- The house is built of local sandstone with tall chimneys, pointed gables and mullioned and transomed windows.
Words that rhyme with transomhansom, ransom, Ransome
Definition of transom in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan