- A chromosomal segment that can undergo transposition, especially a segment of bacterial DNA that can be translocated as a whole between chromosomal, phage, and plasmid DNA in the absence of a complementary sequence in the host DNA. Also called jumping gene.More example sentences
- In fact, in evolutionary terms, it is likely that such sequences have been more successful as transposons than as host genes.
- Thus we were able to clone the DNA sequence that flanked the transposon insertion using plasmid rescue.
- Several DNA sequences that show sequence similarity to transposons were isolated from these sex chromosomes.
More definitions of transposonDefinition of transposon in:
- The US English dictionary