Definition of transverse in English:
Situated or extending across something: a transverse beam supports the dashboard
More example sentences
- One line of measuring points in the transverse direction was situated directly under the facial tanner.
- Pairs of transverse white lines that extend all the way across the nail are called Muehrcke's lines.
- Only the most posterior one to three transverse ridges may cross the platform.
- Example sentences
- Therefore, with the muscles arranged diagonally, the skin can be stretched longitudinally and transversely without elongating them.
- One fruit was cut transversely to form five pairs of flat equatorial transects and these were rinsed briefly with water to remove cell-content residues from the cut surfaces.
- Company maintenance people actually weld a series of parallel steel-plate strips, set 2 in. apart, transversely across the exterior bottom surface of the bucket.
Late Middle English: from Latin transversus 'turned across', past participle of transvertere, from trans- 'across' + vertere 'to turn'.
Words that rhyme with transverseamerce, asperse, averse, biodiverse, burse, coerce, converse, curse, diverse, Erse, hearse, immerse, intersperse, nurse, perse, perverse, purse, reimburse, submerse, terce, terse, verse, worse
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.