Situated or extending across something: a transverse beam supports the dashboard
More example sentences
- One line of measuring points in the transverse direction was situated directly under the facial tanner.
- Pairs of transverse white lines that extend all the way across the nail are called Muehrcke's lines.
- Only the most posterior one to three transverse ridges may cross the platform.
late Middle English: from Latin transversus 'turned across', past participle of transvertere, from trans- 'across' + vertere 'to turn'.
- More example sentences
- Therefore, with the muscles arranged diagonally, the skin can be stretched longitudinally and transversely without elongating them.
- One fruit was cut transversely to form five pairs of flat equatorial transects and these were rinsed briefly with water to remove cell-content residues from the cut surfaces.
- Company maintenance people actually weld a series of parallel steel-plate strips, set 2 in. apart, transversely across the exterior bottom surface of the bucket.