- Have you ever wanted to live in a rural setting, yet enjoy all trappings associated with living in the heart of the town?
- I've spent the last few years acquiring the trappings and signs of the middle class.
- However, it lacks most of the trappings usually associated with the genre.
- It also includes used animal trappings such as harnesses, saddles, halters, reins, rope and chain.
- Founded in Seville in 1892, El Caballo is a manufacturer of harnesses and leather trappings.
- We freed the horses from their trappings, and I went about setting up our camp.
Late Middle English: derivative of trap2.
Animal traps (Old English) have nothing to do with trappings, which go back to Latin drappus ‘cloth’, the source of draper, drab [M16] originally undyed cloth, and drapery (Late Middle English). In the 14th century trappings were an ornamental harness for a horse, but now people more often use the word in contexts such as ‘the trappings of success’ for the outwards signs or objects associated with a particular role or job.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: trap|pings
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.