Definition of trappings in English:
1The outward signs, features, or objects associated with a particular situation, role, or job: I had the trappings of success
More example sentences
- Have you ever wanted to live in a rural setting, yet enjoy all trappings associated with living in the heart of the town?
- I've spent the last few years acquiring the trappings and signs of the middle class.
- However, it lacks most of the trappings usually associated with the genre.
accessories, trimmings, frills, accompaniments, extras, ornaments, ornamentation, adornment, decoration;
2A horse’s ornamental harness.
- It also includes used animal trappings such as harnesses, saddles, halters, reins, rope and chain.
- Founded in Seville in 1892, El Caballo is a manufacturer of harnesses and leather trappings.
- We freed the horses from their trappings, and I went about setting up our camp.
late Middle English: derivative of trap2.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan