- White or light-coloured calcareous rock deposited from mineral springs, used in building: they are built of travertine covered with stucco [as modifier]: a beautiful carved seat in travertine marbleMore example sentences
- It occurs in a wide variety of mineral forms, including limestone, marble, travertine, and chalk.
- Cave walls down which water habitually runs may become covered with sheets of travertine flowstone.
- The springs left deposits of travertine below the temple and among the ruins.
late 18th century: from Italian travertino, tivertino, from Latin tiburtinus 'of Tibur' (now Tivoli, a district near Rome).
More definitions of travertineDefinition of travertine in:
- The US English dictionary