A flat, shallow container with a raised rim, typically used for carrying food and drink, or for holding small items or loose material: they ate supper off a tray in front of the fire a baking tray seed trays
More example sentences
- He watched as a line of servers carried silver trays stacked with food in the direction the men had gone.
- Brad and Julia tramped up the stairs, each carrying a tray laden with food and cups of coffee.
- Miranda dismissed the other servants as she proceeded to prepare a tray of food and drink.
late Old English trīg, from the Germanic base of tree; the primary sense may have been 'wooden container'.
- More example sentences
- Many traditional-style meals are on the current school menu, but children who opt for the ‘Stop, Pick and Go’ menu can potentially come away with a high-fat, high-salt, high-sugar trayful of snacks like pizza and crisps.
- One trayful of food was burned - purely for theatrical effect.
- A souvenir seller enters with a trayful of statues of the gods and offers to tell them stories.