Definition of treacle in English:
1British A thick, sticky dark syrup made from partly refined sugar; molasses.
- An innovation confined mainly to Britain was treacle or molasses from sugar cane.
- Mix together the egg, 125g muscovado sugar, treacle, buttermilk and remaining butter until smooth.
- Well, a rum baba and a treacle tart were atypically heavy.
2Cloying sentimentality or flattery: enough of this treacle—let’s get back to business
More example sentences
- All this loss - of innocence, of dearly loved creatures - and yet, there is not a word of sentimentality or taste of treacle.
- In such a time, his greatest mistake is not sweetening his logic with sentimental treacle.
- Without any sentimental treacle, I cried all the way through.
Definition of treacle in:
- US English dictionary