Definition of treasurer in English:
1A person appointed to administer or manage the financial assets and liabilities of a society, company, local authority, or other body.
- Male financial managers and treasurers were found to be earning 40% more than women in the same role.
- The treasurer gave the financial account of the past year and the secretary gave an account of the yearly work undertaken and all officers were re-elected.
- Even when he was the company's treasurer and chief financial officer in Europe, he went about his work quietly.
1.1Australian The minister of finance.
- Prime ministers and treasurers don't have godly powers.
- Flat taxes have been enthusiastically embraced in the post-communist countries of Eastern Europe and have spread like wild fire, much to the delight of their treasurers.
- A treasurer resigned - and resigned from Parliament - because of promises trashed after an election just over a decade ago.
1.2 (also Lord Treasurer or Lord High Treasurer) British historical The head of the Exchequer.
- After the accession of George I of Great Britain in September, 1714, no more Lord Treasurers were appointed.
- There pile it in a heap, and the King shall be so well-pleased that he will make you Lord Treasurer.
- The white staff laid down by the Duke of Somerset was given to the new earl who contrived to remain Lord Treasurer until his death, twenty-two years later.
- Example sentences
- For a minor post £200 or so would be offered, with competitive bids of £1,000 to £4,000 taken for such lucrative offices as the receivership of the court of wards or treasurership at war.
- Many of the colony's laws for the years between 1735 and 1740 have been lost, so what happened to the public treasurership during that time is largely a matter of speculation.
- Since retiring I have had a number of part time jobs and treasurerships which have kept me occupied, although I have now reduced this down to one day a week as it was interfering with my leisure time.
Words that rhyme with treasurerusurer • injurer • conjuror
Definition of treasurer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.