Definition of treasurer in English:
1A person appointed to administer or manage the financial assets and liabilities of a society, company, local authority, or other body.
- Male financial managers and treasurers were found to be earning 40% more than women in the same role.
- The treasurer gave the financial account of the past year and the secretary gave an account of the yearly work undertaken and all officers were re-elected.
- Even when he was the company's treasurer and chief financial officer in Europe, he went about his work quietly.
1.1Australian The minister of finance.
- Prime ministers and treasurers don't have godly powers.
- Flat taxes have been enthusiastically embraced in the post-communist countries of Eastern Europe and have spread like wild fire, much to the delight of their treasurers.
- A treasurer resigned - and resigned from Parliament - because of promises trashed after an election just over a decade ago.
1.2 (also Lord Treasurer or Lord High Treasurer) British historical The head of the Exchequer.
- After the accession of George I of Great Britain in September, 1714, no more Lord Treasurers were appointed.
- There pile it in a heap, and the King shall be so well-pleased that he will make you Lord Treasurer.
- The white staff laid down by the Duke of Somerset was given to the new earl who contrived to remain Lord Treasurer until his death, twenty-two years later.
- Example sentences
- For a minor post £200 or so would be offered, with competitive bids of £1,000 to £4,000 taken for such lucrative offices as the receivership of the court of wards or treasurership at war.
- Many of the colony's laws for the years between 1735 and 1740 have been lost, so what happened to the public treasurership during that time is largely a matter of speculation.
- Since retiring I have had a number of part time jobs and treasurerships which have kept me occupied, although I have now reduced this down to one day a week as it was interfering with my leisure time.
Words that rhyme with treasurerusurer • injurer • conjuror
Definition of treasurer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan