Definition of trefoil in English:
1A small European plant of the pea family, with yellow flowers and three-lobed clover-like leaves.
- Genera Trifolium and Lotus, family Leguminosae: several species, in particular the bird’s-foot trefoil
- Her sea-pinks, meadow-sweet, hairbells, daisies, trefoils, orchids and clovers are all still there in a rich rug of purples, blues, pinks, yellows and creams.
- Saint Patrick used a seamróg, called a trefoil or three-leaf clover, to illustrate the concept of the trinity to the people.
- In its first year, the Buzz Project found that in fields containing margins of natural clovers and trefoils an average 1,850 bumble bees were found per hectare.
1.2An ornamental design of three rounded lobes like a clover leaf, used typically in architectural tracery: [as modifier]: trefoil windows
More example sentences
- In addition, the top areas of the main windows are decorated with stone tracery describing trefoils, quatrefoils and Moorish arches.
- Rather like the Venetians - the difference being that Venice went on evolving: its Byzantine ogees and trefoils made room for Palladio and all that.
- At the tops of the windows, the artist has fun with the trefoils and quatrefoils, turning one into a black flower with yellow petals and another into a hovering cartoonlike form ringed by orange dots.
- Example sentences
- The windows in the belfry have been restored and consist of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil over.
- The west window of the aisle is modern and has two trefoiled lights with a pierced circle in the spandrel.
- There is a squint on each side, with square heads on the east and trefoiled heads on the west.
Words that rhyme with trefoilparboil • jetfoil • airfoil
Definition of trefoil in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan