noun (plural trevallies)
A marine sporting fish of the Indo-Pacific.
- Caranx and other genera, family Carangidae: several species
More example sentences
- Maori wrasse, sweetlips, trevallies, grouper and every variety of Indo-Pacific coral browser hover around.
- The bluefin trevally is a predatory animal that feeds on other fish or crustaceans.
- Dense schools of fusiliers swarm past, followed by squadrons of predators like big-eye trevally, mackerel and rainbow runners.
late 19th century: probably an alteration of cavally 'horse mackerel', from Spanish caballo 'horse'.
Definition of trevally in:
- The US English dictionary