- A large quadrupedal herbivorous dinosaur living at the end of the Cretaceous period, having a massive head with two large horns, a smaller horn on the beaked snout, and a bony frill above the neck.
More example sentences
- Genus Triceratops, infraorder Ceratopsia, order Ornithischia
- The triceratops, like all dinosaurs, only had a small brain but he made up for it with his big heart (some dinosaurs even had two hearts).
- When given a picture of a triceratops and told it was a dinosaur, the children correctly inferred that it belonged to the cold-blooded class of animals.
- In fact, he's headed to Montana this August to excavate tyrannosaurs and triceratops.
modern Latin, from Greek trikeratos 'three-horned' + ōps 'face'.
More definitions of triceratopsDefinition of triceratops in:
- The US English dictionary