Definition of trichomonad in English:
nounZoology & Medicine
A parasitic protozoan with four to six flagella and an undulating membrane, infesting the urogenital or digestive system.
- The absence of functional mitochondria in protists such as trichomonads suggests that they diverged from other eukaryotes prior to the alpha-proteobacterial symbiosis that led to mitochondria.
- The mobile clinic's microscope is not state-of-the-art, but it was clear enough to see the hyperactive flagellated trichomonads scurrying around the field.
- However, published data for hydrogenosomes in trichomonads, ciliates, and chytrid fungi are consistent with them sharing common ancestry with mitochondria.
- Example sentences
- The incidence of trichomonal vaginitis is decreasing in most industrialized countries.
- We analyzed the 850 patients with gonococcal, ureaplasmal, chlamydial, trichomonal, and mixed urethritis.
- The traditional method of diagnosing trichomonal infections is a wet mount microscopic examination of vaginal secretions in saline.
Definition of trichomonad in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan