noun (plural trichotomies)
A division into three categories: the pragmatics-semantics-syntax trichotomy
More example sentences
- Phylogenetic relationships inferred from hsp 82 depicted the rotifer class Seisonidea as the sister taxon of a monophyletic trichotomy that included Acanthocephala, Bdelloidea, and Monogononta.
- The argument comes down to considering a trichotomy,
- Both clades, together with H. bastetanum, form a trichotomy that it is separate from H. suaveolens.
- Example sentences
- Branching details are difficult to resolve in full, but trichotomous branching is evident in several areas, and four orders of laterals are evident within the upper verticils of this zone.
- The dependent variable for this study was a trichotomous survey item focusing on level of parent involvement: ‘how active are you in your child's health education?’
- Bivariate analyses of the trichotomous accuracy variable and patient attributes showed no important differences with respect to patients' age, sex, race, religion, or marital status.
17th century: from Greek trikha 'threefold' from treis 'three', on the pattern of dichotomy.
Words that rhyme with trichotomydichotomy, lobotomy, tracheotomy
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: trich|ot¦omy
Definition of trichotomy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.