- A children’s custom of calling at houses at Halloween with the threat of pranks if they are not given a small gift (often used as a greeting by children doing this).More example sentences
- At 7.30 pm recently we had an insistent ringing on the door by children dressed for trick or treat.
- Unlike trick or treat, Mischief Night is a long-standing British tradition.
- The police chief superintendent has warned that trick or treat could be considered a serious criminal offence.
verb[no object] (trick-or-treat) Back to top
- Take part in the custom of trick or treat: kids are going to go trick-or-treating tomorrow nightMore example sentences
- My little boy wanted to go begging - sorry, trick or treating.
- Our community is the sort where children go trick or treating on Hallowe'en.
- Parents were warned not to let their children go out trick or treating alone.
More definitions of trick or treatDefinition of trick or treat in:
- The US English dictionary