Definition of tricuspid in English:
1Denoting a tooth with three cusps or points.
- Some F 2 teeth are truly tricuspid, like those of LF, whereas others are truly bicuspid, as in MZ.
- Their tricuspid teeth (three sharp points per tooth) are especially adapted to feed on organisms with hard shells such as clams, snails, crabs and shrimp.
- Next, we use field data for cichlid species with adult unicuspid, bicuspid, and tricuspid teeth.
2Denoting or relating to a valve formed of three triangular segments, particularly that between the right atrium and ventricle of the heart: tricuspid atresia
More example sentences
- Contraction of the right and left atria forces blood past the right tricuspid and left bicuspid valves into the right and left ventricles, respectively.
- In the absence of cardiac failure, previous thromboemboli, or heart failure, antithrombotic therapy is not indicated in patients with isolated aortic or tricuspid valve disease.
- Ventricular contraction pushes up the tricuspid valve and raises pressure in the right atrium to a slight degree.
Late 17th century: from tri- 'three' + Latin cuspis, cuspid- 'cusp'.
Definition of tricuspid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.