- past and past participle of try.
tried and tested (or tried and trusted or North American tried and true)
- Denoting something that has proven in the past to be effective or reliable: a tried-and-tested recipeMore example sentences
- At the same time, many tried-and-true products are proven best sellers.
- The communities affected by youth crime deserve effective, tried-and-tested responses,’ Mr Redmond said.
- A franchisee would be foolish to buy into a system and not follow the tried-and-true recipe.