Definition of trifid in English:
1chiefly Biology Partly or wholly split into three divisions or lobes.
- The suture is quadrilobate and of modest complexity, with two trifid lobes represented on the flanks, margined by bifid saddles.
- Miloradovich also recognized these cardinal process types, and noted that the median lobe of the massive, trifid cardinal process often is recurved dorsally.
- The trifid third and bifid fourth lobes are incompletely separated by a lower and smaller fourth lateral saddle.
2 (also trefid) (Of an antique spoon) with three notches splitting the end of the handle.
- The trefid pattern tea spoons are mostly inverted and we see no indication of any spoon tray, or silver sugar longs, for the page is using his fingers to dispense the lumps of sugar.
- Those include a copper trifid sculpture and various ceramic pots and figures.
- This example retains the broad, shallow bowl and ribbed rat tail of the earlier trefid form but without the characteristic notches in the terminal of the trefid.
mid 18th century: from Latin trifidus, from tri- 'three' + fid- 'split, divided' (from the verb findere).
Definition of trifid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan