1 Zoology (In a coelenterate) a filament at the mouth of a nematocyst which triggers the emission of the stinging hair when touched.
- At the narrow outer edge of the cnidocyte is a short trigger hair.
- When the trigger hair on the outside of a nematocyte is touched, a coiled thread tube inside the enclosed nematocyst is released.
2 Botany A bristle on the leaf of a Venus flytrap which triggers the closure of the leaf around an insect.
- The first phase of the leaf closure begins when a trigger hair is disturbed.
- The flytrap features a set of inch-long, heart-shaped capture leaves, each fringed with trigger hairs and bisected by a deep fold.
- Darwin's investigation into the biology of the Venus flytrap involved testing the sensitivity of trigger hairs.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: trig|ger hair
Definition of trigger hair in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.