noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A synthetic antibiotic used to treat malaria and respiratory and urinary infections (usually in conjunction with a sulphonamide).More example sentences
- Medicines used are sulfonamide with or without trimethoprim, furadantin, ampicillin, or the fluoroquinolones.
- For urinary tract infection, we examined resistance to ampicillin or amoxicillin and trimethoprim.
- At the same time we would also audit the prescribing of trimethoprim for urinary tract infections and the investigations and second visits associated with its use.
1960s: from trimeth(yl) + o(xy-) + p(y)rim(idine).
More definitions of trimethoprimDefinition of trimethoprim in:
- The US English dictionary