Definition of trinity in English:
noun (plural trinities)
- These creeds settled basic issues such as the Trinity and deity of Christ.
- The humanity of Christ provides the opportunity for the manifestation of the Trinity.
- References to the doctrines of the Trinity and the incarnation, the cross and the resurrection abound.
- THIRUVAIYARU IN Thanjavur district is well known for being the place where saint composer Sri Thyagaraja, one of the music trinities, lived.
- So often in life we just ignore our souls and we're trinities.
- Each of these trinities are expiring one after the other because none can solve the confusion of a tri-une god.
- The powerful movement is from trinity to unity.
- In the early centuries of the Church, there were maddeningly diverse and often conflicting beliefs on core issues such as the human and divine natures of Christ, the unity and trinity of God, and much else.
- Many churches teach nothing at all about the life of God as trinity.
triad from mid 16th century:
Triad meaning ‘set of three’ goes back to Greek tres ‘three’. The Chinese secret societies are called Triads from their Chinese name San Ho Hui which can be translated as ‘tripe union society’. Triangle (Late Middle English) comes from the same word. The eternal triangle of romance dates from the early 20th century. Trinitas is the Latin for ‘triad’ and the source of trinity (Middle English). The musical trio (early 18th century) comes from the Italian development of tres. Triple (Middle English) is from the same root; and tripod (early 17th century) is a three-footed device, from tri- ‘three’ podes ‘feet’. Trivet (Late Middle English) comes from the Latin form of the word.
Words that rhyme with trinityaffinity, asininity, clandestinity, divinity, femininity, infinity, masculinity, salinity, vicinity, virginity
Definition of trinity in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.