noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Spasm of the jaw muscles, causing the mouth to remain tightly closed, typically as a symptom of tetanus. Also called lockjaw.More example sentences
- He developed jaw muscle spasm or trismus (from the word ‘grinding’ in Greek), difficulty swallowing, and stiffness or pain in the neck, shoulder and back muscles.
- Regional lymphadenopathy is common, and cellulitis and trismus (inability to open the mouth fully) can occur.
- The presenting symptoms include fever, throat pain, and trismus.
late 17th century: from modern Latin, from Greek trismos 'a scream, grinding'.
More definitions of trismusDefinition of trismus in:
- The US English dictionary