noun[mass noun] • literary
- A state of melancholy sadness: lamenting a lost love, he leaves us poised at the lip of a chasm of tristesse post-coital tristesseMore example sentences
- They knew that satiation wasn't succeeded by tristesse, it was itself, immediately, tristesse.
- But here more than anywhere I remember lost times, lost chances, lost friends, with the sweet tristesse that is onomatopoeic to the place.
- And they specialize in a sort of ceremonial tristesse that colors their writing with wan accents of pain, grief, mourning and death.
More definitions of tristesseDefinition of tristesse in:
- The US English dictionary