Definition of trivial name in English:
1A name that is in general use although not part of systematic nomenclature: its common trivial name is citric acid
More example sentences
- IUPAC maintains a number of historical names called trivial names that identify well-known elements and compounds.
- We listed a trivial name only in cases, such as ‘methyl orange’, where all that was needed was to identify ‘the substance in the bottle’.
- The Levinson system of nomenclature was proposed originally for rare-earth minerals in order to avoid a proliferation of trivial names.
1.1chiefly Zoology another term for specific epithet.
- The trivial name enormis must be a joke as the holotype is only 23 mm in length!
- The trivial name nudus (L.) refers to the lack of cirri on the column of this new species of Camptocrinus.
- The generic name is taken from the trivial name of Xanthilites verrucoides in reference to the wart-like appearance of the ornamentation of the two species in this genus.
Definition of trivial name in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan