Definition of trochanter in English:
1 Anatomy Any of a number of bony protuberances by which muscles are attached to the upper part of the thigh bone.
- Most weight-bearing locations were represented, including residual limbs, ischial tuberosities, trochanters, sacrum, and feet.
- The piriformis originates from the anterior surface of the sacrum and inserts into the upper part of the greater trochanter, passing out of the pelvis through the greater sciatic notch.
- The hip trochanters were at about the level of the iliac crest.
2 Entomology The small second segment of the leg of an insect, between the coxa and the femur.
- All coxae triangular, trochanter comprising a single podomere, legs similar, composed of seven podomcres.
- The legs of all insects are made up of the same basic parts - femur, trochanter, coxa, tibia and tarus, but they can differ considerably.
- Both types of arthropods employ two short basal segments, coxa and trochanter, although the trochanter and femur are fused in some insects.
Definition of trochanter in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan