Definition of trochlea in English:
noun (plural trochleae ˈtrɒklɪiː)Anatomy
A structure resembling or acting like a pulley, such as the groove at the lower end of the humerus forming part of the elbow joint.
- This notch articulates with the trochlea of the humerus to form the elbow joint.
- On the lateral aspect of the calcaneus, 20 mm posterior to the peroneal trochlea, the periosteum covering an 8 x 8 mm area was peeled, and two anchors were inserted into the calcaneus at least 8 mm apart.
- This anterior projection helps receive the trochlea of the humerus and lies in the coronoid fossa of the humerus when the elbow is flexed.
- Example sentences
- No significant difference in total mean chondrocyte density between trochlear, patellar, tibial, and femoral condyles was observed.
- Inferior to the trochlear notch is the coronoid process.
- A capsulotomy was performed and the patella was dislocated laterally to expose the articular surface of the trochlear groove.
Definition of trochlea in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan