noun (plural tropaeolums)
- A Central and South American trailing or climbing plant of a genus that includes the nasturtium and the canary creeper.
More example sentences
- Genus Tropaeolum, family Tropaeolaceae
- White flowering Clematis armandii, red tropaeolum, wisteria and roses are being trained to grow over the pergola.
- Flame nasturtium (tropaeolum speciosum) with scarlet flowers followed by bright blue berries, is perfect for a sunny wall.
- The annual Nasturtium tropaeolum majus growing in rich soil will swamp a border if you are not careful, but when controlled it has an incredible freshness.
modern Latin, from Latin tropaeum 'trophy', because of the resemblance of the flower and leaf to a helmet and shield.