noun[mass noun] Entomology
- The mutual exchange of regurgitated liquids between adult social insects or between them and their larvae.More example sentences
- Direct interactions are the ‘obvious’ interactions: antennation, trophallaxis (food or liquid exchange), mandibular contact, visual contact, chemical contact (the odor of nearby nestmates), etc.
- Second, we quantified the rate of trophallaxis, that is, oral exchange of liquid food between individuals.
- Typical nest behaviors, such as aggression and trophallaxis, were not observed among aggregating wasps.
early 20th century: from tropho- 'nourishment' + Greek allaxis 'exchange'.
More definitions of trophallaxisDefinition of trophallaxis in:
- The US English dictionary