- 1Beset by problems or difficulties: his troubled private lifeMore example sentences
difficult, problematic, full of problems, beset by problems, unsettled, hard, tough, stressful, dark
- It is far from the image of a troubled, inner-city school beset by social problems.
- Patrick and his wife raised 11 children during difficult times and a troubled period in our history.
- In many ways, he was the right person to take the troubled city through a difficult time caused by a major economic downturn.
- 1.1Showing distress or anxiety: his troubled faceMore example sentences
- I sat stunned, but as I looked at her troubled face, the signs of fear and extreme anxiety began to show from behind her mask.
- Her eyes wandered to his troubled face.
- The following night, the man felt another tap on his shoulder, and sees the same troubled face staring back.
- A difficult situation or time.More example sentences
- Kelly currently works for the Department of Commerce as an attorney, but before that, she helped the company navigate some troubled waters on issues of user data storage.
- He considers himself feeble, unable to keep afloat on the troubled waters of his times.
- You are stronger after swimming through troubled waters.